Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscars 2014: best dressed and more!

It's the day after my favorite night of television and I am so beyond excited for this blog post. The Oscar's are a perfect combination of two of my favorite things: fashion and film. They recognize the entire scope of filmmaking from the film's conception as an idea to its final product that we see in the theaters. So many times we don't even begin to think about all of the moving parts and aspects of making a film, and I love that the Oscar's sheds a light on each and every one of them. Maybe it's just me, but the whole concept of movies, how they are made, the work that is put into them, how they affect and reflect culture, is truly enthralling.





As I said in my Oscar blog last year that we were going to plan a party, we did have an Oscar Party and it was so much fun. Everyone came dressed as a character from a nominated film (from any year) and we walked in on the red carpet, took photos, compared Oscar ballots, ate popcorn and punch (out of gold cups of course), played Oscar bingo, and had an absolutely lovely time! I definitely recommend watching the Oscar's with friends and coming up with your own fun things to do to bring the Oscar's home...I can't wait to plan for next year :) We also planned to see all of the Best Picture nominees before the Oscar's. It was so much fun and we ended up seeing all but two of them (because they went out of theathers). I plan on doing that next year too :) Well, without going on forever (which I may), let's talk the 86th Annual Academy Awards!

My best dressed list:

Who are you wearing? The most important question of the night is asked as we wait on the edge of our seats for the designer, the full length camera shot, and don't forget the "mani cam". I've decided to put each dress in a category of sorts based on its trend: shimmering nude dresses, deep hues, and 

1. Lupita Nyong'o in Prada.
  • Pleated plunging perfection. The (totally unsurprising) winner for best dressed goes to Lupita! I chose this dress as my favorite because it stood out for me from everyone else. She was completely stunning from head to toe and wore this so elegantly. The soft color and pleated flow of the dress glided her down the carpet and the subtle sparkles at the bottom flowed perfectly into the train. Not only has she completely slayed all award's season, she has (seemingly) effortless style and can wear every color flawlessly. Her performance in 12 Years a Slave was moving and Oscar deserving. She looked all around beautiful for her Oscar winning evening.


2. Cate Blanchett in Armani.
  • Sweet, shimmering nudes. I absolutely loved this dress. Not only did Cate win the Oscar for Best Actress, she won with this look on the red carpet. I chose this dress because it epitomizes the shimmering nude trend while also bringing a unique look. The side part was a big trend on the carpet this year as well as the old hollywood style curls. She pulled it all off beautifully and I love her natural makeup and soft beauty look. Her hair and makeup pair perfectly with this gorgeous gown.

3. Charlize Theron in Christian Dior.
  • Here we see a contrast to the light/nude trend, but the Charlize was in good company when she chose a darker option. It seemed as though the carpet was split between very light and very dark colors, with just a few in between, which is my heaven because if you know me you probably know that black, white, and champagne/nude/light pinks are my absolute favorites. I just think they give a classic and timeless look, a simple elegance that you don't have to reach too far to portray. This Dior gown gives her just that, while also modernizing the look with it's inventive cut and fabric. Let's not forget that she paired this gorgeous mermaid gown with a sparkling Harry Winston diamond necklace, wearing about $15 million around her neck!


4. Kate Hudson in Atelier Versace.
  • Kate Hudson stunned in this detailed Versace gown. My favorite part was the cape aspect of the dress...it added so much. She definitely stood out in the dress and I think she truly looks like a hollywood star with side parted waves and this sleek fitting gown.

5. Angelina Jolie in Elie Saab.
  • Elie Saab just happens to be one of if not my favorite designer when it comes to dresses. I just love the detailed beading and the feminine shapes of the dresses. Angelina Jolie is absolutely gorgeous and probably would look good in anything, but this gown makes her shine (literally).

6 & 7. Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture and Amy Adams in Gucci.
  • Who said peplum is dead? These two prove that the trend is definitely still in and they both wear it beautifully. You may be wondering why I have two people listed together and it's not because they are both the stars of the Oscar nominated movie American Hustle. It's because the overall shape of their dresses are quite similar and I couldn't choose one over the other. For instance, I love Jen's (backwards) necklace pairing and the fact that the dress is red is amazing. But I also really like that Amy's dress has the extra detail at the top which makes it a little more interesting. I think they both looked gorgeous. Now that I've written all that and thought about it more, I think Jennifer comes out on top for me.


8. Naomi Watts in Calvin Klein.
  • I just love the minimalistic simplicity going on with this dress. It fits like a glove and I love the texture, color, and Bulgari necklace. Fantastic.

9. Julia Roberts in Givenchy Couture.
  • I thought this was a fantastic pick for Julia. It was the most flattering dress I have seen her in this award's season and I love the simple yet intricate design of this dress. Also, I like how she went with lace which I feel like is seen less often on the carpet.


10. Sandra Bullock in Alexander McQueen.
  • Three words: classic hollywood glamour. She is stunning in just about everything, but I love this look for her. Alexander McQueen if you don't know is historically edgy and modern, but this gown is a perfect old to classic hollywood. Normally in sleek dresses with straight hair, this is a refreshing and pretty look for Sandra.


Now that we've looked at my 10 best dressed, let's look at some other "bests" and noteworthy moments of the night:

Best Musical Performance/dress Combination: Pink performing Somewhere Over the Rainbow
  • If you would have asked me this before the Oscar's, I would have definitely said Idina Menzel, or Adele Nazeem (ya feel?) cause that is obviously close to her actual name hahah. Or nah. Okay, but in all seriousness I love frozen and love her, but I wasn't feeling that performance. I think she may have been nervous and I can understand it's not the easiest song to sing live (it also sounded as though something was off with the tempo of the music)...but I expected more from her. So back to Pink. I didn't even know she was going to perform and let alone sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow so beautifully. But also....the dress. Elie Saab does it again. So stunning and the back was just gorgeous!

Best tribute: Bette Midler performing Wind Beneath My Wings


Best Photobombs:
  • Lupita photobombing Jared



  • Benedict photobombing U2: I'm not even sure how this happened haha.


Best Friendship: Jen & Lupita 



Best Dressed Men: Gotta give some love to the guys of the evening. It seemed as though white jackets were popular for the men as well this year, though I'm more of a classic black tux kinda gal haha. These two nailed it as always and somehow they never age. (also, shout out to Jared Leto just because he's beautiful)
  • Leonardo DiCaprio: Georgio Armani *let me note that this is in fact navy...thanks to Alex for pointing this out and for being one of the most fashionable men I know :)

  • Brad Pitt: Tom Ford


Best Deja Vu Moment: JLaw trips...again. 


Biggest Red Carpet Surprise: Margot Robbie's new hair debut...right on point with the hollywood waves and side part. She's still just as gorgeous and I love the back of her Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane gown (also a best dressed in my book!)


Favorite Acceptance Speech: Matthew McConaughey accepting the Oscar for Best Actor.

"First off I want to thank God, because that's who I look up to. He's graced my life with opportunities that I know are not of my hand or any other human hand,"- Matthew McConaughey


Most Romantic/Adorable Love Moments:
  • They are adorable...also a best dressed couple for me


  • And AWE..


Best pizza moment? Hahaha this was hilarious but I kept thinking what if they spill?! (and Jared was too cute with his mom all night):


And how can we forget the selfie that broke twitter:
but Meryl getting so happy about tweeting was definitely my favorite part of that...one of my favorite moments!

I really enjoyed this years Oscar's and had fun seeing the films, having a party with my girls, and of course blogging about it afterwards! As I expected, this is probably a really long post but it's only once a year! What were your favorite Oscar moments? 

& don't forget, if you're ever feeling down, just remember that you and I have the same number of Oscars as Leonardo DiCaprio.

(though I do love him and very much think he deserves one :)

xoxo